12 December 2008
LOCAL BUSINESSES in Southwark are being visited by their community wardens, as part of a three week campaign on how to plan for emergencies.
The borough's 100 community wardens have been delivering pamphlets featuring the popular Captain Continuity over the last two weeks to many of the borough's 6,000 small to medium businesses.
Introduced by Southwark Council last year, Captain Continuity proved to be a hit with business owners, with his many tips on how to deal with fire, floods, power failures and other emergencies that might disrupt trading.
Cllr Paul Kyriacou, Executive Member for Community Safety, said the campaign was essential to helping local businesses keep going when faced with natural and other emergencies: "Most managers who have had to put a plan to the test think that having a plan helped them reduce disruption to their business.
"It doesn't take a lot of pre-planning, but following Captain Continuity's advice will mean you are as prepared as possible to help your business continue to trade during and after an emergency."
Captain Continuity's top five tips are:
- Get the right insurance - you need insurance for loss of stock or premises, but also loss of income for 18 months
- Make sure you back up your IT systems regularly so you don't lose data
- Keep a contact list of staff, suppliers and customers at home or somewhere other than your business
- Make a list of what is critical to your business - everything you can't do without
- Rehearse the four steps above regularly and make sure they work for you and your business
The council will also be mailing out information to all businesses who may not have been visited by the wardens in the new financial year.
For further information, advice and sources of assistance log on to www.southwark.gov.uk/businesscontinuity or call 020 7525 7343
No comments have been posted.
RAILTON ROAD SE24,
Leasehold, For Sale
TEA TRADE WHARF SE1, £1,295,000 , For Sale
TOWER BRIDGE WHARF E1W, £550 , per week, For Sale
PROVIDENCE SQUARE SE1, £1,600,000 , For Sale