30 July 2008
Roast rack of lamb, caramelised fennel and shallots with a saffron and lavender sauce
THE LOFT RESTAURANT, The Mercure Hotel
71-76 Southwark Street, SE1. T: 020 7902 0800
Ingredients for a meal for four:
1 rack of lamb with eight ribs
1 banana Shallot
75ml white wine
40gms brown sugar
120ml double cream
Pinch of saffron
Pinch of lavender flower
How to cook:
1) Pre-heat the oven to 180 C (fan assisted)
2) Trim the fat from the bones of the lamb, making sure to have two bones for each portion.
3) Cut the fennel in half, wash it and then slice finely. Slice the shallots finely as well.
4) Put some oil in a pan and onto a medium heat, when hot add the fennel and leave it to cook for 3 minutes. Add the shallots banana and stir well. Turn up the heat and add 25ml of the white wine.
5) When the wine has evaporated turn the heat down and leave it to cook until the fennel is soft. Add the sugar and allow the fennel to caramelise.
6) For the sauce, sweat 20gms of the chopped shallots in a pan with some olive oil. When they are soft, add 50ml of the wine and allow it to evaporate. Add the double cream, saffron and lavender. Turn down the heat and leave to cook until it reaches a creamy consistency.
7) Put some olive oil to a frying pan on a high heat and sear the lamb on all sides until golden brown. This should take around 5 minutes.
8) Finish cooking in the oven - 10 minutes for rare and 15 minutes for medium.
9) To serve, place a spoon of fennel and shallot in the middle of the plate, position the lamb on top with the bones sticking up and cover with a generous spoon of sauce.
No comments have been posted.
RAILTON ROAD SE24,
Leasehold, For Sale
TEA TRADE WHARF SE1, £1,295,000 , For Sale
TOWER BRIDGE WHARF E1W, £550 , per week, For Sale
PROVIDENCE SQUARE SE1, £1,600,000 , For Sale