Help! We have 16 days to help make a better Southwark. Finally, a politician is keeping their word to make Southwark safer for kids and adults cycling to school or work.
Mayor Khan has released plans for a protected cycle-lane from Tower Bridge, along Jamaica Road to Deptford. It includes measures for safer walking. 72 people walking or cycling are hurt in collisions every year on this route! 3,500 people are already cycling along it with no space or protection currently.
Khan’s proposal will:
- Provide safer cycling route to schools for local kids
- Enable more residents cycle safer to work
- Finally allocate road space for the 81% of Southwark residents who do not own a car
- Reduce need for polluting mini or black cabs, which make up 60% of car-traffic in cczone
- Help tackle Southwark kids’ obesity crisis
- Help Southwark’s 66% of adults who fail to take even 20 minutes exercise a day
- Will reduce Southwark’s carbon emissions, which threaten to flood all of the borough’s north
- Protect pedestrians from pavement mounting car-crashes
- Help many local businesses, as more people will walk and cycle to them, when area is safer
- Reduce pollution breathed by kids walking on adjacent pavement, due to being farther from exhaust pipes
Nearly all parks and schools used by kids in north of borough break EU pollution safety levels.
Rotherhithe doctors wrote to TfL backing the cycle-highway due to their patients’ car-pollution and inactivity diseases. Southwark has almost the highest rate of obese people in the UK. 56% of adults and 43% of children classified as overweight.
We need urgent solutions to these health and environmental crises plaguing us. For too long local politicians blocked all protected cycle-lanes. It is good to finally see some supporting them.
BUT a small number of selfish noisy driver and cabbies are trying to block CS4. Please help ensure they do not win, by emailing support to firstname.lastname@example.org. Full details at: consultations.tfl.gov.uk/roads/cs4/.
Yes We Can!