200 students evacuated from Great Dover Street accommodation after fire caused by hairdryer

News Desk (23 September, 2016) Housing

Four fire engines, 21 firefighters and officers attended the fire in the early hours of Thursday morning

4608

More than 200 students evacuated their halls in Great Dover Street on Thursday after one of them discovered a fire caused by a hairdryer in his room.

Four fire engines, 21 firefighters and officers attended the fire in the early hours of the morning, which damaged a section of the student’s room.

Crews found a hairdryer plugged in and switched on at the plug but fire investigators have sent the dyer for further analysis to determine exactly what happened.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “We are still investigating this fire to determine the exact circumstances but this is a good opportunity to remind people how important it is to ensure that hairdryers and straighteners are turned off at the plug as well as on the appliance.”

Firefighters have issued  top tips for avoiding a ‘beauty blaze’

  1. Hairdryers, hair tongs and straighteners can get extremely hot, so it’s very important to remember to switch them off and leave them to cool on a heat proof surface.
  2. Shaving or make up mirrors should be kept away from direct sunlight, along with any canisters, such as deodorant or hairspray.
  3. Candles need to be placed on a surface that can’t melt or catch fire, such as a ceramic plate. Always blow them out when you leave the room, and never leave them burning without supervision.

The Brigade was called at 2:44am and the fire was under control at 3:55am. Fire crews from Dowgate, Old Kent Road, Dockhead and Lambeth fire stations were called to the scene.

 

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

*