25 firefighters rush to put out house fire in Herne Hill

Kit Heren (26 October, 2021)

The fire damaged the first floor and the loft space of a terraced house

48619Stock image (London Fire Brigade)

A fire in Herne Hill on Tuesday morning (October 26) needed 25 firefighters to put out.

The fire damaged the first floor and the loft space of a terraced house on James Joyce Walk.

The London fire brigade was called out at 11.23am and the fire was under control by 12.15.

James Joyce Walk, near where the fire took place

Everyone in the house got out before firefighters arrived and there were no reports of any injuries.

Fire crews from Clapham, Lambeth, West Norwood and Old Kent Road fire stations put out the fire.

The fire is thought to have been caused by a candle.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “Candles are one of the most common causes of fire.

“It’s really important that you never leave a candle unattended and keep them away from curtains and anything else that can easily catch fire. They should always be kept in a sturdy fire resistant candleholder.

“You could consider swapping your traditional candles for safer, LED flameless ones.”

Contribute

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

tags

Related Topics

London Fire Brigade