Firefighters have urged smokers to safely dispose of cigarettes after two women were rescued and a balcony destroyed in a blaze.
Investigators believe a fire which destroyed a second-floor flat balcony in Crawford Road, Camberwell, was started by a discarded cigarette in a plant pot.
Two women were rescued by firefighters wearing breathing apparatus and were treated at the scene for smoke inhalation yesterday, Tuesday.
A pair of fire engines and ten firefighters from Peckham and Brixton were called to the flat at 12.41pm. The fire was under control by 12.59pm.
A spokesperson for London Fire Brigade has since issued a reminder to smokers about the importance of safely disposing of cigarettes.
“If you’re a smoker it’s absolutely vital you ensure your cigarette is completely out when you’ve finished smoking it,” they said.
“If you don’t, you risk causing a fire which could not only destroy your home, but also cost you your life.”
Safety advice for smokers:
Make sure you have smoke alarms fitted in every room you regularly use in your home including in the hallways.
Never smoke in bed.
Always ensure you stub out cigarettes properly and dispose of them carefully.
Keep matches and lighters out of children’s reach.
Never leave lit cigarettes or cigars unattended.
Empty ashtrays carefully, ensuring all smoking materials are stubbed out and cold.
If you must smoke, do it outdoors.