Bermondsey residents celebrate as new penthouse plan is rejected

Admin (09 March, 2017)

A developer planned to build three penthouses on top of an existing block of flats in Grange Gardens

15537A developer submitted plans to build three penthouses on top of the skylights of existing flats

Residents living in a Bermondsey development are celebrating after plans to build three penthouses on top of their homes were rejected by councillors.

Grange Gardens residents say they have been plagued with “no end of problems” since moving into the development, off Grange Walk, in January 2012.

Hazelwood Properties Limited had already converted what were originally intended to be commercial units into fifteen new flats after residents moved in – before applying to build three more.

The developer submitted plans to build three three-bedroom flats as a seventh storey on top of the existing privately-owned flats in ‘block A’, or 1 Haven Way.

The developer submitted plans to build three penthouses on top of the sky lights of existing flats

Residents opposed the plans, as the penthouses would have blocked out the skylights of residents currently living on the top floor of the building, and would have overlooked an adjacent block of flats.

Resident Susanne Soliman said about 30 residents attended a planning sub-committee on Tuesday, February 28, and three residents spoke at the meeting.

“We are really happy with the outcome but we are certain that they are going to appeal to the planning inspectorate,” she added.

Cllr Ben Johnson with a Grange Gardens resident

Brenden Mielke, whose top-floor flat would have been built on if the plans went ahead, said he hoped it was the last he would hear of the penthouses.

“I’m very pleased that the committee listened to the arguments and decided that the effect of the application on the residents was going to be too detrimental,” said Mr Mielke.

“I would have been overlooked from above on to my balcony and I would have lost out on a considerable amount of natural light.”

Ben Johnson, councillor for Grange Ward, said: “I am delighted that the planning committee overwhelmingly rejected this application.

“We need more homes in Southwark, but they must be affordable and not built at the expense of existing residents who fought hard to oppose this extra storey on top of their homes.

“I hope the developer will now work with residents to improve Haven Way, which has many outstanding defects.”

The News contacted Hazelwood Properties for comment, but did not receive a response at the time of going to press.

Contribute

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.