Southwark News has teamed up with Southwark Square Property, the owner of the well- known Menier Chocolate Factory Theatre in Southwark Street, to launch a digital photographic competition.
The theme of the competition is to identify the best traces of time, people, and place that can be found on the streets of Southwark.
This could be traces of art left by children or adults on a pavement, a wall, a bench, railings, or an architectural or unusual detail anywhere in the public domain or urban landscape. We are inviting people to snap away with their camera phones, and the winners will have the chance to win a meal for two at the Menier Chocolate Factory Restaurant, or tickets to the latest production at the award-winning Chocolate Factory.
The competition – to be judged by an independent panel – has been inspired by architect Chris Drummond, whose photographic exhibition “London Traces”, has been held at the Menier Chocolate Factory restaurant during the month of June as part of the London Festival of Architecture.
Drummond said: “I have tried to capture traces of time, people and place in small scale because they are more human. We attempt to hold on to memories by creating places and objects of remembrance, but we also unintentionally leave more ephemeral traces, anonymously and collectively during our everyday lives.”
Entry into this competition can be made by downloading an entry form using this link. The deadline for entries is Monday July 31.
Entry forms and accompanying photos should then be completed and sent to email@example.com.
Please scroll down to see full Terms & Conditions here.
- Each photograph should have a high enough resolution to be published in print or online.
- The entries should be still images, film and moving images are not eligible.
- Photographs should not be manipulated beyond the standard adjustments that photographers commonly use such as cropping, colour, contrast, exposure adjustment; distortion/lens correction are all acceptable.
For guidance please use the following link to view image examples used in the “London Traces” exhibition: https://goo.gl/photos/kM69VuWrvGQKGzcDA
SOUTHWARK TRACES PHOTOGRAPHIC COMPETITION
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- 1. These terms and conditions together with any specific rules set out in Competition Notices (as defined below) are the Competition Rules (“Rules“) and apply to competitions (“Competition“) featuring in any Southwark News Limited (“Southwark News”) and/or on any affiliated companies Internet site unless otherwise expressly stated. By entering this Competition, entrants agree to be bound by these Rules.
- 2. Southwark News reserves the right to cancel or amend the Competition or the Rules without notice in the event of a catastrophe, war, civil or military disturbance, act of God or any actual or anticipated breach of any applicable law or regulation or any other event outside Southwark News’s reasonable control. Any changes will be posted either within these terms and conditions or the Competition Notice. A copy of the Rules may also be viewed on the Southwark News website.
- 3. In the event of any dispute regarding the Rules, conduct, results and all other matters relating to the Competition, the decision of the judge(s) shall be final and no correspondence or discussion shall be entered into.
- 4. To qualify to enter the Competition you must be resident or work in Southwark and its environs. The address you provide with your competition entry (“Entry“) may be used to send updates to entrants, so please make sure this is correct.
- 5. Employees of Southwark News or any associated company, or other third parties involved in organising the Competition, and their immediate families are not eligible to enter the Competition.
- 6. By entering the Competition, you hereby warrant that all information submitted by you is true, current and complete. Southwark News reserves the right to verify the eligibility of all entrants.
- 7. Southwark News assumes that by reading the publication or by using the website and entering the Competition (and you warrant that) you are aged 18 or over or, if you are under 18, that your parents have consented to your entry into the Competition and these Rules.
- 8. Entry is limited to no more than three digital (only digital photography is accepted) photographs per person, Competition entries must be made in the manner and by the closing date specified on the Competition Notice. Failure to do so will disqualify the entry.
- 9. There is no purchase requirement to enter the online Competition. There is no charge to register with a Southwark News website which is a free entry route.
- 10. Prize winners will be chosen by a panel of independent judges from all qualifying Entries within 14 days of the closing date specified in the Competition Notice. In all matters, the decision of the judge(s) shall be final and no correspondence or discussion shall be entered into.
- 11. Prize winners will be notified in the manner and within the time specified on the Competition Notice. Return of any prize notification as undeliverable or failure to reply as specified in the notification (and within the time stated) may result in the selection of an alternate winner(s). If more than one prize is awarded only one prize per entrant will be awarded. Competition winner(s) names may be published in Southwark News and on the publication’s website.
- 12. Prizes are non–transferable and there is no cash alternative. Prizes are awarded at the discretion of the organisers and no prizes will be awarded because of improper actions by or on behalf of any entrant.
- 13. Where a prize may not be appropriate for a younger contestant, the minimum age for entry will be stated in the Competition Notice and must be observed. Southwark News reserves the right to request written proof of age of any winner.
- 14. All taxes, insurances, transfers and personal expenses are the sole responsibility of the prize winner.
Intellectual Property Rights & Use of Entries
- 15. Southwark News does not, unless we agree this with you, claim any rights of ownership in your Entry. As such, you retain ownership and copyright, although Southwark News will be able to use Entries as set out in the Rules, you will also have the right to use your Entry in any way you choose.
- 16. In consideration of Southwark News agreeing to consider entrants to the Competition, each entrant hereby agrees that Southwark News (and third parties authorised by Southwark News) may make any and all Entries available in their publications and on their websites and any other media platform, including social media platforms, whether now known or established in the future. You now grant Southwark News (and third parties authorised by Southwark News) a non-exclusive, worldwide, irrevocable licence (for the full period of any rights in the Entry) to use, display, publish, transmit, copy, make derivative works from, edit, alter, store, re-format, sell and sub-licence the Entry for such purposes.
- Entrants will always be credited alongside their entry images.
- 18. Southwark News does not guarantee to use or otherwise make available any Entry. Southwark News may, in appropriate circumstances, and at its sole discretion, reject, edit, remove or disable access to Entries that appear to be legally or otherwise problematic e.g. infringe the copyright or other intellectual property or privacy rights of others, are defamatory etc. or for any other reason.
- 19. Your entry and any information submitted by you must be personal to and relate specifically to you. You hereby warrant that your Entry and all information which you submit and/or distribute will not infringe the intellectual property, privacy or any other rights of any third party, and will not contain anything which is libellous, defamatory, obscene, indecent, harassing or threatening. If relevant, Southwark News reserves the right, but not the obligation, to screen, filter and/or monitor information provided by you and to edit, refuse to distribute or remove the same.
- 20. Southwark News and/or third parties authorised by Southwark News cannot accept any responsibility for any damage, loss or injury in the process of entrants taking photographs or disappointment suffered by any entrant entering the Competition or because of accepting any prize. Southwark News is not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer on-line systems, servers, or providers, computer equipment or software, failure of any email or entry to be received on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet, telephone lines or at any web site, or any combination thereof, including any injury or damage to entrant’s or any other person’s computer or mobile telephone related to or resulting from participation in the Competition. Proof of transmission will not be accepted as proof of receipt.
Data Protection and Publicity
- 21. Winners may be requested to take part in promotional activity and Southwark News reserves the right to use the names of winners in any publicity both in paper and online.
- 22. Any personal data relating to entrants is subject to the Data Protection Act and will not be disclosed to a third party without the individual’s consent. Data relating to entrants will be retained by Southwark News for a reasonable period after the Competition closes to assist Southwark News to deal with any queries on the Competition.
- 23. These rules are governed by the laws of England and Wales.