Fire at Bermondsey laundrette after towels overheat

Kit Heren (30 December, 2021)

Firefighters advised people to be careful with their laundry in the aftermath of the incident

48617Stock image (London Fire Brigade)

Firefighters were called to put out a fire in a laundrette in Jamaica Road last week.

The fire, on Wednesday December 22, is thought to have been caused by towels being left in an industrial drier and overheating.

There were no reports of any injuries and five people left before the fire brigade arrived at about 3pm.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “These types of fires often involve textiles that become contaminated with oil, most commonly linseed, massage and cooking oil on tea towels, tablecloths and chef whites. Make sure you check the manufacturer’s cleaning recommendations of your textiles before washing.

“Sometimes when materials are cleaned and put in tumble dryers, the heat from the tumble drying cannot escape. This can result in a high enough temperature allowing it to build up to a point where it smoulders and eventually ignites.

“If you are washing and then drying on a hot cycle, always use the cooling cycle on the tumble dryer so it cools down and allow the heat to dissipate properly before stacking laundered items together.”

Contribute

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

tags

Related Topics

London Fire Brigade