Fire at Elephant and Castle believed to have been sparked by dropped cigarette

Katherine Johnston (05 December, 2018)

Food stall damaged

26895The fire outside the shopping centre (c) Kal Lavelle

Firefighters have blamed a chucked cigarette as the likely cause of a market stall fire in Elephant and Castle this week.

Firefighters were called at 5.13am yesterday to reports of a fire at the outdoor market near the shopping centre and station.

Four engines and 25 firefighters arrived on the scene and had the blaze under control an hour later.

No one was injured but a store cupboard under some stairs was destroyed and a food stall next door was left partly damaged.

The London Fire Brigade says a discarded cigarette is the most likely culprit, with a spokesperson warning: “If you’re a smoker it’s absolutely vital you ensure your cigarette is completely out when you’ve finished smoking it.

“If you don’t, you risk causing a fire that will cause a lot of damage, but also may cost lives.”


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.