GCSE results 2017: Sacred Heart Catholic School
Sacred Heart Catholic School welcomed the School Standards Minister as a special guest on results day.
Students at the school were celebrating after 80 per cent achieved at least five GCSEs at grades A*-C, including a ‘standard pass’ of grade 4 and above in both English and maths.
Meanwhile, 60 per cent of pupils achieved at least five GCSEs at grades A*-C, plus a ‘strong pass’ of grade 5 and above in both English and maths.
Last year Sacred Heart ranked 15th in the whole country for ‘Progress 8’ – the government’s headline progress measure.
This year’s provisional Progress 8 measure of 0.85 puts the school on course for another good results when these progress figures are confirmed in November.
Nick Gibb MP congratulated students on their success while visiting the school in Camberwell today.
“Today, hundreds of thousands of sixteen year olds find out the results of two years or more of hard work and study,” he said.
“They will now move onto the next phase of their education well equipped for what lies ahead and I would like to thank their teachers whose dedication and hard work has helped them achieve success.”
Headteacher Serge Cefai said: “Sacred Heart has become accustomed to outstanding GCSE results and these remarkable figures are no exception.
“Given the introduction of new qualifications and a new grading system for English and maths this has been an extremely challenging year for both staff and students and they have risen to the challenge amazingly well.
“These really are an outstanding set of results and testament to the hard work, commitment and dedication of our entire school community.”
Summary of GCSE results and departmental results for Year 11:
- 80% of pupils achieved at least 5 A*-C including a ‘standard pass’ of grade 4 and above in English and Maths
- 60% of pupils achieved at least five GCSEs at grades A*-C, including a ‘strong pass’ of a grade 5 and above in both English and Maths
- 81% of English Language and English Literature results were grade 4 and above
- 70% of English Language and English Literature results were grade 5 and above
- 87% of pupils achieved at least one standard pass in English and 81% of pupils achieved at least one strong pass in English
- 85% of Maths results were grade 4 and above
- 61% of Maths results were grade 5 and above
- 93% of pupils achieved at least two A*-C grades in Science
- Biology 100% A*-C
- Physics 100% A*-C
- Chemistry 100% A*-C
- Computing 95% A*-C
- Geography 100% A*-C
- Graphics 100% A*-C
- PE 97% A*&-C
- Spanish 93% A%-C
Summary of exceptional individual pupil performances (English grades 7,8,9 equivalent to A*-A):
- The school’s top performer was Oghenetega Natufe who achieved 10 GCSEs at A*-A (including 7 A*s, 2 Grade 9s and one Grade 7)
Other exceptional performances included:
- Davide Saraceno – 11 A*-A
- Isabel Solarte – 11 A*-A
- Ogagaoghene Emojerhi – 10 A*-A
- Zoe Wegbe – 10 A*-A
- Ellie Panayiotou – 10 A*-A
- Michael Stepto – 9 A*-A
- Anne-Marie Akinwale – 9 A*-A
- Ebot Ebot-Arrey – 9 A*-A
- Aaron Green – 9 A*-A
- Ife Igbekele – 9 A*-A
- Michaela Opoku – 9 A*-A