Guy’s Cancer Centre cladding to be removed after failing fire safety tests

Admin (10 August, 2017)

The fire brigade has confirmed that the building is safe to remain open but cladding will be removed in the autumn

18011Guy's Hospital (pictured)

Guy’s Hospital will remove cladding on its £160million cancer centre after it failed fire safety tests.

Cladding from the building, which opened in September last year, was sent for testing following the Grenfell Tower tragedy.

The results revealed that rain screen panels, which cover fifteen per cent of the surface of the building, contain aluminium composite material.

The hospital has been told by the fire brigade that the building, which is fitted with full fire detection systems and sprinklers, is safe to remain open.

Work to remove the cladding will begin in the autumn.

Amanda Pritchard, chief executive at Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust, said: “We will carry out remedial work including the removal of cladding to ensure that we comply with the new Government advice, to reassure our patients and the public and to make sure that the cancer centre continues to reflect the highest safety standards.


Read next: Tests reveal combustible cladding on King’s College Hospital building


“This will be done as quickly as possible in a planned and measured way, with work likely to start this autumn.

“The safety of our patients, visitors and staff continues to be our highest priority.”

Around 80 people lost their lives during the Grenfell Tower blaze, in Kensington, which took place in the early hours of June 14.

A fire safety expert recommended an independent review should be carried out on Southwark Council’s housing stock in the wake of the tragedy.

It will look at whether fire safety measures are up to scratch in individual flats in the council’s 174 tower blocks, as well as other buildings such as schools and libraries.


Read next: No action needed on Guy’s Hospital cladding


Councillor Stephanie Cryan, deputy council leader and cabinet member for housing, told the News it could cost almost £100million to install sprinklers in all council housing, with ongoing maintenance, if recommended by the review.

Any recommendations following the review will be considered for low-rise buildings across the council’s housing stock – not just high-rise.

The outcome of the review is expected to be made public in a report by autumn.

Any residents with concerns can contact the council at firesafetyconcerns@southwark.gov.uk

Contribute

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.