An investigation has been launched after a man was trapped in rubble when a chimney collapsed in a house last week.
Firefighters attended the scene in Southampton Way just before 2pm on Thursday and freed the injured man.
He was taken to King’s College hospital by the London Ambulance Service with a head injury. A second man and a woman were also treated for minor injuries and taken to hospital.
The incident occurred while a flat in the terraced property was being refurbished and a chimney breast moved.
Southwark Council surveyors were called and issued a dangerous structure notice, labelling the rear of the building as unsafe.
The property will need to be stabilised before permanent repairs to the roof can take place.
The Health and Safety Executive has since launched an official investigation into the incident as it happened while works were taking place.
Station Manager Bruce Grain, who was at the scene, said: “Firefighters worked in difficult conditions to safely rescue the casualty from the rubble.
“The Urban Search and Rescue (USAR) team stabilised the property and used line rescue inside the building to remove larger pieces of rubble, enabling them to free the man.”
A 25m hazard zone was put in place as fire crews remained at the scene for the rest of the day.