JustGiving removes 5% fee from terror attack donations after Bermondsey MP’s campaign

Josh Salisbury (17 October, 2018) Politics Business

The firm allegedly took £17,000 in profit from donations to victims of the London Bridge terror attack last June

18677Bermondsey and Old Southwark MP Neil Coyle

JustGiving has announced that it will no longer take a 5% fee from donations given to terror attack and disaster victims following a campaign by local MP, Neil Coyle.

The donations platform had been heavily criticised by Mr Coyle and others for taking a 5% cut from donations given to victims of terror attacks, including at London Bridge in June last year.

The Bermondsey and Old Southwark MP wrote to Government minister Tracey Crouch last month, saying that he was “frankly sickened” at the policy, which saw the firm allegedly keep £17,000 in profit from money given to the victims of the attack.

Jerry Needel, president of JustGiving, announced the policy change on Monday and said: “Following feedback from our amazing community of fundraisers, we are also announcing that JustGiving will now be free to use following major incidents; including acts of terrorism, catastrophes or natural disasters.

“We know people want to help those affected as quickly as possible after these events and we want to do everything we can to support that.”

Mr Coyle told the News that he welcomed the change, saying the for-profit firm had “finally listened” to critics.

He said: “JustGiving don’t just take an admin fee for processing donations, they also take 5% of all donations in profit.

“Last year this meant they took £17,000 from donations meant to help our community rebuild after the June terror attack at London Bridge and Borough Market.

“They took £300,000 from victims of the attack in Manchester.

“Their despicable policy meant £500,000 in public generosity did not reach the intended victims of terror and tragedy last year, instead being trousered by JustGiving.”

READ MORE:

The News asked JustGiving to confirm the amounts allegedly taken in profits from the donations given to the terror attacks and disasters, but did not receive a response.

However, the policy does not affect the donations that have already been given, and only applies to money given in the future.

Mr Coyle added: “They won’t take profits after future incidents but still need to ensure last year’s donations reach their intended recipients.”

Over £100,000 was raised on the platform for people in and around Borough Market, following the attack on June 3rd last year, which saw eight victims killed.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

*

Related Articles