AN UP-and-coming artist has painted a stunning mural of Southwark’s finest contributors to the world of film, music and science – and popular former mayor Dora Dixon-Fyle.
Ibiye Camp, 24, unveiled the giant mural last week at The Artworks shipping-container Business Park at the Elephant and Castle, by the junction with Walworth Road.
The artist, who lives off East Street, said: “I wanted to give local people something to talk about on their way to work. It’s more about familiar faces from south London than choosing famous people.
“I also wanted it to remind people of the mosaics that were on the underpasses at Elephant and Castle.”
Perhaps surprisingly, there is also an appearance in the mural by outgoing mayor of Southwark, Dora Dixon-Fyle.
Among the famous faces (appearing from left to right) are:
- Damson Idris, actor from Peckham, who has starred in Casualty, Doctors and the upcoming US series Snowfall
- Michael Faraday, born at Newington Butts (now Kennington Park Rd). Discoverer of electromagnetic induction
- Sokari Douglas Camp CBE, Nigerian sculptor and artist – responsible for Peckham statue Sword Fish Masquerade
- Giggs, rapper from Peckham, known for ‘Look what the cat dragged in’ and ‘Don’t go there’
- Sir Michael Caine, actor. Born in Rotherhithe, lived in Elephant & Castle and went to Wilson’s School in Camberwell.
- Dora Dixon-Fyle, Mayor of Southwark, and long-time member of Southwark Council
- Kwame Kwei-Armah OBE, actor, playwright and journalist.
- Florence Welch, Florence and the Machine singer, born in Camberwell
- Giant Haystacks, wrestler, born in Camberwell