Matt Ratana murder: Walworth police officers’ moving tribute to officer shot dead inside Croydon Custody Centre

Josh Salisbury (30 September, 2020)

The popular officer had been due to work a shift at the Walworth Custody Suite on Sunday

39238Left: McDonalds tribute, right: Matt Ratana with partner Su Bushby

Walworth police officers have paid moving tribute to the murdered police officer who was shot dead at Croydon Custody Centre.

Sgt Matt Ratana died in the early hours last Friday morning at the station after being shot by a handcuffed suspect who is then thought to have turned the gun on himself.

The 54-year-old popular officer had been due to work an overtime shift at the Walworth Custody Suite on Sunday.

Officers who worked alongside Sgt Ratana saved him a chair and bought him a McDonald’s breakfast he was owed in a touching tribute to their fallen colleague.

Sgt Richard Lovelock, who shared the gesture on Facebook, said: “I know it sounds daft but it’s just those touching little moments that have helped us all through yesterday and today.”

Officers saved a seat for Matt at Walworth in his memory Image: Facebook / Richard Lovelock

He also worked out the pay Matt would have received for the shift, and donated it to a fund in memory of the officer which will be given to the family.

The memorial fund has now reached over £80,000, while the post has been shared more than ten thousand times.

Matt was due to be covering an overtime shift with us today at Walworth Custody Suite. We saved him a chair and Chris…

Posted by Richard Lovelock on Sunday, 27 September 2020

Matt’s partner, Su Bushby, paid tribute to the well-loved officer as a “gentle giant.”

“There aren’t really any words for how I am feeling right now about the loss of Matt; about losing someone I loved and was so close to in such a tragic manner,” she said.

“I know Matt touched many, many people’s lives with his friendliness, patience, kindness, enthusiasm and caring ways.”

Sgt Matt Ratana with Commissioner Cressida Dick

As the News went to press, detailed searches were ongoing at addresses in Norbury and in Banstead in connection with the murder.

The suspect remains in hospital in a critical condition, meaning cops have been unable to speak with him.

A second suspect was still in custody on suspicion of supplying a firearm. “We have traced a number of witnesses who have been able to contribute significant information about the events leading up to the shooting” said Deputy Assistant Commissioner, Stuart Cundy.

“We continue to pursue multiple lines of inquiry and consider the results of initial forensic examinations, including of the gun recovered from custody.”


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.


Related Topics

WalworthMatt Ratana