Mohamed Dura-Ray murder: Grieving mother appeals for information to catch son’s killer four years on

Josh Salisbury (16 September, 2019) Crime

Nobody has ever been convicted for the senseless murder of Mo four years ago in Walworth

5455Mohamed Dura-Ray and his characteristic smile captured on a school trip

The grieving mother of a fatally stabbed teen has urged those who know who killed him to come forward four years after his tragic death.

Nobody has ever been convicted for stabbing sixteen-year-old Mohamed Dura-Ray to death, in Walworth’s Newington Estate on September 14, 2015 – despite a £20,000 police reward for information, and a sample of blood found on a letter at the scene which matched the DNA of a suspect.

The case eventually went cold after a key witness refused to give evidence.

Now four years on from the senseless killing of the keen Man United fan, his mother Mariama Kamara has once again appealed for the veil of silence protecting those who killed him to be broken.

Mo Dura-Ray sits outside his old home in Walworth. The photo was taken just the week before he died

“Anybody who was there that night needs to come forward,” she said, speaking to the News prior to the four year anniversary of Mo’s death on September 14.

“Being silent doesn’t help, it just makes more problems. We have to tell the truth. If you saw something, you need to say it.

“To help the police. To help the prosecution. To help me.”

READ MORE:

The doting mother spoke of her pain at her loss of her son, known affectionate at Mo, only weeks before his seventeenth birthday.

He had dreams of becoming of becoming an engineer, and is described by family and friends as loving, funny and full of life.

Last year, Mariama stood at the spot where Mo was fatally stabbed in the chest on Walworth’s Canterbury Place to lay flowers for her beloved son, and to make a speech asking those shielding his killer or killers to bring them to justice.

The family of murdered teen Mohamed Dura-Ray pictured last year appealing for witnesses to come forward – but no-one has in the past year

“We’re still grieving as a family,” said Mariama. “But nobody has come forward between last year and this year.”

An inquest into popular Mo’s death that he had been involved in an altercation with an ‘unknown male’, and had told witnesses ‘I’ve been stabbed’ as friends tried to help him before police and the ambulance service arrived.

Despite the best efforts of medics, Mo died from a single stab wound to the chest at 10.52pm that night. The coroner returned a verdict of unlawful killing.

Mariama also spoke of her frustration at police cuts, calling for officers ‘on every street corner’ to tackle violent crime.

“We need more police to come out [on the streets],” she said. “They have to put more police people in the street, on every corner, in uniform and non-uniform to tackle crime.”

Anyone who witnessed the events of September 14 2015, or has any information that could help Mo’s family, should call the incident room on 020 8721 4622.

Crimestoppers can also be contacted completely on 0800 555 111.

The News understands the £20,000 reward still stands.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

*