Met Police offer £20k reward for info to help with Mohamed Dura-Ray investigation, six months after his killing

News Desk (10 March, 2016) Crime

New lines of enquiry are needed for police to close in on suspects behind Mo's stabbing in September last year

5395Mo Dura-Ray

Police are offering a £20,000 reward for anyone who comes forward with information about the unsolved murder of sixteen-year-old Walworth boy Mohamed Dura-Ray.

Mohamed, known to his friends and family as Mo, was found stabbed to death on September 14 last year at the Newington Estate in Canterbury Place, Kennington.

Mo was pronounced dead at the scene at 10.52pm. He died two weeks before his seventeenth birthday.

Eight male suspects between the ages of sixteen and 54 were arrested, but no one has been convicted.

Speaking to the News one week before the six-month anniversary of Mo’s death, Detective chief inspector Graeme Gwyn, said: “I need all those who witnessed the killing, the moments leading up to it and the aftermath, to speak with me and give an honest account of what they saw.

“I know that there are witnesses who still haven’t spoken with police. I urge those people to listen to the pleas of a mother who has lost her son and is begging them to come forward and describe honestly what they saw.”

A trial of a 20-year-old man who had been charged with Mo’s murder was called off last month, after the Crown Prosecution Services decided there was insufficient evidence.

Two suspects returned from bail in February, but they too were released while there is insufficient evidence to prosecute.

Mo’s mother, Mariama Kamara, said: “There is no pain greater than a parent losing a child. The hearts of my family are completely broken.

“I would like to appeal to the public. Anyone with any information or knowledge of my son’s murder, I plead for you to come forward and speak to the police.

“Those responsible for my son’s death should not get away with murder. The murder of my son should not be forgotten and justice should prevail. We as a family need closure.”

MP for Bermondsey and Old Southwark, Neil Coyle, who marched with Mariama on anti-knife crime marches, gave a mention to the unsolved case in his question to Prime Minister David Cameron during last week’s PMQs session in the House of Commons.

Anyone with information is urged to call the incident room at Lewisham on 020 8721 4805, or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

*

Related Articles