Police patrols have been stepped up across London today following the Manchester Arena terror attack.
Extra officers were on duty in the Capital this morning as commuters made their way to work.
The increased police presence of both armed and unarmed officers will continue for “as long as needed” and is there to reassure people.
The Metropolitan Police Service will work with those planning events for this weekend to provide support.
Metropolitan Police Commissioner Cressida Dick described last night’s events as “an utterly appalling attack”.
“My thoughts are with the people of Manchester as they try to come to terms with the horrific events that took place in their city last night,” she said in a statement.
“Our colleagues from Greater Manchester Police and their emergency services showed huge bravery as they ran towards the confusion and danger.
“We are providing every possible support through the counter terrorism network as investigators work tirelessly to understand what has happened.
“Looking ahead to the weekend – a normal busy and vibrant weekend in our city – we are working with all those planning events to make sure we are doing all we can.
— Mayor of Southwark (@SouthwarkMayor) May 23, 2017
“Terrorists seek to spread fear and undermine our way of life.
“We must work together to stop that from happening. If you have suspicions, tell us; if you see something that concerns you, report it. Together we can protect London.”
The attack, which is being treated as a terrorist incident by police, has so far claimed the lives of 22 people and left at least 59 injured.
It took place as thousands of Ariana Grande fans streamed out of a concert at Manchester Arena at about 10.33pm yesterday.
The first known victim of the attack is eighteen-year-old Georgina Callander.
It is believed the attack was carried out by a suicide bomber using an improvised explosive device.
Many children and families were caught up in the attack, and family and friends of people still missing today have been sharing their details in a bid to find their loved ones.
Southwark Council held a minute’s silence for the victims of the attack at its offices in Tooley Street at 11am today.
— Southwark Diocese (@SouthwarkCofE) May 23, 2017
Southwark Cathedral also held a two-minute silence, after which prayers were read out for those affected by the incident.
The Queen described the attack as an “act of barbarity” today.
“The whole nation has been shocked by the death and injury in Manchester last night of so many people, adults and children, who had just been enjoying a concert,” she said.
“I know I speak for everyone in expressing my deepest sympathy to all who have been affected by this dreadful event and especially to the families and friends of those who have died or were injured.
“I want to thank all the members of the emergency services, who have responded with such professionalism and care.
“And I would like to express my admiration for the way the people of Manchester have responded, with humanity and compassion, to this act of barbarity.”
The public is asked to remain alert and report any suspicious behaviour to the Anti-Terrorist Hotline on 0800 789 321 or to call 999.
Anyone with concerns over loved ones can contact 0161 856 9400 or 0161 856 9900 for assistance.