Two hospitalised after it is believed barbecue goes wrong in East Dulwich, says Fire Brigade

Kit Heren (13 June, 2022)

The fire also destroyed a single-storey outbuilding, said the Brigade

48619Stock image (London Fire Brigade)

A man and a woman were rushed to hospital after the Fire Brigade said it is believed a barbecue got out of control in East Dulwich yesterday (Sunday June 12).

The fire, which took place on Elsie Road at about 9pm, also destroyed a single-storey outbuilding, as well as fencing, timber and building materials belonging to the people living next door.

The fire is thought to be have been caused by the barbecue being left unattended. Firefighters from Brixton, Forest Hill, Old Kent Road and West Norwood fire stations put out the fire by about 10.30pm.

The London Fire Brigade highlighted the blaze in a bid to warn residents to keep an eye on their barbecues with temperatures are set to soar this week. A spokesperson said: “Unattended barbecues or barbecues placed too close buildings can be a real fire risk.

“We don’t want to spoil people’s fun but we’re just reminding people to take extra care. It’s vital that you place them on level ground, far away from things like sheds, fences or trees and out of the reach of children and pets.”

‘It’s paradise’: Ukrainian grandmother who fled the war loves Southwark Park

Firefighters’ tips for barbecuing safely:

  • Never use a barbecue – including disposables – indoors or on your balcony.
  • Be careful where you position your barbecue – we suggest on level ground, well away from anything flammable like sheds, fences, trees, or tents.
  • Don’t use petrol, paraffin, or any flammable liquids on your barbecue – firelighters are a much safer option.
  • Think twice and take extra care if you’re thinking of having barbecues in parks and public spaces.
  • Never leave barbecues unattended and extinguish them properly after you have finished using them.
  • Disposable barbecues that have been discarded and abandoned can still end up causing a fire as they will continue to retain heat after use – they need to be put right out and cooled before being thrown away.
  • If you’re using a gas barbecue, change the gas cylinder outdoors and make sure you turn off all controls and valves.
  • If you suspect a fault, do not use the barbecue and seek specialist advice.
  • To prevent gas leaks, ensure all joints are tightened.
  • Carefully supervise children and pets.

Contribute

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

tags

Related Topics

London Fire Brigade